Thursday, February 3, 2011

On Having a Nice Rest of the Day

Of course there are many issues in the world right now that are much more important, but I’m sorry to say that I’m obsessed with this single phrase:  “Have a nice rest of the day!”  I hear it almost everywhere I go, and every time it makes me cringe and makes me angry.  And why is it so button-pushing, you may ask?  To me, it feels lazy and disrespectful—two traits that tax my tolerance to the limit.


I mean, is the day running out?  “Rest of the day” sounds so time-limited.  Makes me think of sand fleeing the hourglass.  And I even hear it early in the day.  We’re all harried, and we don’t need to be reminded that the hours are escaping.  What’s wrong with “Have a great afternoon!," or even, “Have a good day!”  I can also put up with “Have a nice day!”  Sounds just lovely when compared to “Have a nice rest of the day!”  Or just forget about the day altogether if its’ so dang hard.  A genuine “Thanks for shopping with us!”  or “Hope we see you again soon!”  will get you lots of points in my book.



Manners and respect go hand in hand, and being mannerly is one of the hallmarks of true customer service.  Granted, I had a grandmother who would threaten me within an inch of my life over mannerly indiscretions and I’m more sensitive than most.  But even if you’re a confirmed finishing school dropout, you can take a few seconds to put together a proper greeting and a proper goodbye--especially in a customer service setting.  That’s an important part of being human.


More aware than ever that the clock is ticking, I’ll stop ranting.  I need to go have a nice “rest of the day!”  And if you thank me for my post, I promise not to say, “No problem!”  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!


5 comments:

  1. The comment that causes me heartburn is "no problem." You're in a store or anywhere, say "thank you," and the other person responds "no problem."
    Well, thanks for letting me know that doing your job or making an appropriate response wasn't a "problem."
    How about, "My pleasure." Or, something highly unusual like, "You're welcome."
    Well, that's mine. Have a nice rest of the day.

    Beau

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "listening" to a good rant, yours was articulate AND illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't even the reference to the "rest of the day" that bothers me. If someone said, "Enjoy the rest of your day", I'd be happy with that. It's the "Have a nice rest of your day" that is annoying. It's using "rest of your day" as a noun. Compare it to "Have a nice afternoon" or "Have a nice brunch". By the way....we all have the SAME day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Goodness!! I had to Google this phrase. It drives me bonkers, as well as No Problem does! Can this Rest of your Day be proper language? I have to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS, Marianne, I was raised with Shetland ponies, and we had some the size of your little fella pictured here! Oscar looked the same size as this one. It was 60 years ago, however, and I don't remember particulars. Nice memories!

    ReplyDelete